Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My mom's infamous unfinished scarf.

My mom's infamous unfinished scarf.
My mom did about half a scarf in seed stitch and ran out of yarn and it got discontinued. She got frustrated and gave it to me to dispense of. She wanted to toss it in the trash at first, but then I said maybe someone else could use it. She just wanted it out of her sight. So I was about to give it away and my knitting friends said that it was nice and that I should keep it. Maybe it would look good as a table runner or something. So it ended up in my stash. Looking at it then, I had to do something with it. I didn't know what, it was long but only about 8 inches wide. So the only thing I could think of doing was a handbag. I looked at it all ways and then decided the ultimate shape. So i cut it and unraveled a bit to make a button hole and I started making a strap. Looking at the strap, I realized that I had two options. Sew it to the top of the bag or make it part of the side seem to give the bag more depth. I chose the latter. I got so excited that I started sewing the strap on right away which may have not made sense since I was still working on the strap. But it actually helped ground the strap while I was knitting it. So now I have quite a bit of strap. It's narrow so it's a lot of back and forth. I have about 3 other projects in progress as well. I didn't really need to start up another thing but it shouldn't take me that long considering the bulk of the work was already knitted for me. I wonder what my mother would think when she sees it all finished as a bag. I don't know if she's into that sort of thing. She mainly uses big pocketbook type of bags, so it's not that practical. She is a practical woman.

2 comments:

A.Co said...

Hey Lee, it's Allison. I think it's cool that you got a blog (I used to have one, but I got a little bored with it). Are you going to bring the bag tonight? I guess I'll find out!

Lee said...

I'm not very good at maintenance. I had a blog before, but not much to talk about, so that was abandoned. Hopefully I can keep this up.