Tuesday, July 29, 2008

First Entry

I've decided to start a blog to capture all my adventures in knitting. You're welcome to come along for the ride...

I am relatively new to knitting. I first learned when I was a young girl. My mom has always been knitting and crocheting. I remember knitting blocks with the needles and crocheting granny squares. My mom had to start it for me of course. I didn’t see how I could make anything practical with blocks and squares, so I lost interest.

More recently I came across a show on the DIY Network called Knitty Gritty and I watched a few episodes to see what kind of projects were on there. Also around the same time a friend told me she was interested in knitting. I tried my best to show her what I knew, but I didn’t know much. Then I became interested in doing it myself so I could learn and share my knowledge.

One day my mom found a project bag with some yarn, needles and an instructional manual and I sat down and started doing it. I started with casting on and then I started doing only knit stitches and made some swatches. After I got the hang of knitting, I picked up purling and I just kept going. I just practiced and practiced on that yarn until my stitches looked good.

After a few weeks of practicing I decided that I wanted to start a project.
I decided to go to the store and just pick a yarn that I loved and make a scarf. I started with a fur yarn “Wild!” by Moda Dea in Denim. It wasn’t the best idea to start my first project with a novelty yarn, but at least no one could see any of my mistakes. With a lot of time, patience and determination I finished that scarf. I remember starting with it at 12 inches long and finishing 3 hours later and it was 10 inches long. It got pretty hairy a few times, but I hung in there.

From that point on I kept going and going. I enjoyed doing it and was full of ideas and inspiration. I couldn't wait to get home from work and pick up my needles again.

I have a bunch of projects so far and with each one I embark on is new and different. I suppose that keeps me interested considering that I have ADD.

No comments: